Learning French II (March 2018)

Well, I've just completed 'Walk and learn French #Beginner #2' on Youtube. This lesson was two hours long and, like the first, I found it both easy to follow and useful. Victor, the presenter, perhaps laboured some points a little longer than I needed - but I did reflect that this boded well for when things got trickier. 

As I watched there were just a couple of sections where it felt he was developing a topic which he had not introduced elsewhere. This led me to wonder whether this video was built in a modular fashion. Nothing wrong with that even if that is the case - but see below.

Having completed the second video my appetite for the third was well and truly whetted. But where was it..? No sign on YouTube, nor from a more general Google search, nor at French4me.net. The latter is the site with paid for content provided by Vincent. I'm guessing he posts free 'tasters' on YouTube and then hopes you'll buy the paid for content - not an unreasonable business model, especially when the taters are of such good quality. But if  'Walk and learn French #Beginner #1& 2' were tasters, there was no sign of the main course. 

Looking around French4me.net I see there are a range of courses to suit the needs of different audiences and, as suspected, they appear to be built using different configurations from a library of topic modules. This is fine but is does mean Vincent needs to be careful to include the introductory sections for subjects he later develops. In 'Walk and learn French #Beginner #2', for example he uses the pronoun 'Y' without explaining what it is. In a two hour lesson, I was only conscious of this type of omission twice - so not at all bad.

I've left a comment on the 2nd video on Youtube asking Vincent what my  options are for progressing, as a beginner, beyond 'Walk and learn French #Beginner #2'  and without the need to repeat (or skip) too many of the modules I've already covered in my 3 hours of study. If I hear back I'll let you know what he says.

On the whole I like Vincent's teaching style, but the prospect of having to start another course, using much of the same material, in order to get a full course I can follow from beginning to end, leaves me somewhat frustrated and disappointed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Rain Upsets Plans, 13 - 18 Sept.